Saturday, January 28, 2012

First (half) week of classes

     I have now had all my classes, and I can say that I will enjoy every one of them to some degree or another.

     I have to say that Professor LeBlanc, who teaches Computing for Poets, is now up there in the ranks of favourite professors with Professors Drout and Polanichka. This is after one class. That's how good he is. He explains things very clearly, is incredibly funny (of the brand where he either says something completely straight and keeps going and then you realise that he was completely joking, or he simply comes up with something incredibly understated and incredibly funny. That was a bad description. I'm aware of that fact) and really knows how to keep a class moving. The material in the class is going to be a little bit tough, especially at the beginning, I think, since I have little to no experience with (X)HTML and the programs with which you write HTML, but once I get over the OH-MY-GOSH-I-DON'T-KNOW-WHAT-I'M-DOING stage, I'm sure I'll be fine.

     I thought 290 was going to be the bane of my existence this semester, but I now realise that this is not going to be the case at all. Professor Krebs is fantastic, and I think the way she approaches the class and literary crit. will teach me a lot in a way I can enjoy, understand and apply. I'm super excited. How many classes involve the professor handing out Kindles for the use of the class? Not many. We'll also be blogging about our reading experiences, and I will post links to my posts if you're interested.

     Latin is probably going to be the most frustrating and challenging class, as it always is, but having decided to drop from the 300 level to the 200 level has made the whole situation slightly less intimidating. The professor is very enthusiastic, and I think will make the classes enjoyable. We haven't started with actual translations yet, but will be doing so this weekend.

     History of England is, as I expected, nothing short of fantastic. I'm really excited for a number of reasons, the first being that it's the history of England. Secondly, Professor Polanichka is teaching it, so that's also quite awesome, and the third is that the class spans all of my favourite periods of English history. We're starting with Roman (and a wee bit of pre-Roman) England, then moving on to the Anglo-Saxons, then continuing straight on through to Elizabeth. Epic? Yes, I think so. Unfortunately the class is HUGE. I hope people are intimidated and drop out. (They won't be. This is pure wishful thinking on my part, and I can't help but be pleased that so many people either want to learn about England, or love Prof. P. ... we'll ignore the fact that it might be a requirement for some people...)

     Medieval Lit. is also splendid, how could it be otherwise. Most of the readings are going to be of things I've read before, which is fine. I'm rather fond of most of it. But it does always make me wonder if I should perhaps sit on my hands until people catch up a bit. Needless to say, I'm very excited.

Well, homework and a horribly messy room call, so that'll be all for this time!

1 comment: